Re: Wicked intermittent Amplifone (Ampliphone) issue

From: PJ <pj1_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Wed May 11 2011 - 02:30:12 EDT

On 5/10/2011 10:51 PM, John Robertson wrote:
> Hi PJ,
>
> You can use a filament isolation transformer to test our
> cathode/heater short hypothesis...just make sure neither side of the
> heater is connected to the chassis/ground.
>
> John :-#)#

I'll give this a try since I have such a transformer handy. I was
thinking of this, but what kept me on the track of other hypotheses was
that it came up with the screen, and the raster was about 30% larger
than it should be, kind of like a G05 with a bad HV diode, like low HV.
The warm ferrite core also sets me off.

If it is such a short, I could isolate the filament supply on the HV
board from the board's ground?

The horrific brightness of screen has me somewhat gun-shy.