RE: R: I: STAR CASTLE PCB with a "little" problem - SOLVED - Yet Another Cine Board to Repair - FIXED

From: vernimark <vernimark_at_vernimark.com>
Date: Thu Jun 23 2011 - 07:45:19 EDT

>I suggested working
>from the video output backwards starting with M2 because it is the
>data latch for the lowest nibble of the Y axis on the video port J2

Yes, that what I wanted to do in the beginning but after some discussions I
had here I was convinced it was an ALU problem so I started from there...

ABOUT YESTERDAY PROBLEM topic: Yet Another Cine board to Repair
This is what I saw...
http://www.vernimark.com/temp/cinematronics01.jpg

FIXED!

It was a faulty 7402 in H8 position ("Line Counter - to LF13331").
Now:
http://www.vernimark.com/temp/speedfreak01.png

it was a CINEMATRONICS BOARD REVISION B with SPEED FREAK ROMs and it seems
roms are not compatible with that PCB release (you can see only the upper
part). I swapped ROMS from my VECTORBEAM PCB with STAR HAWK Roms (working)
and now both of them work fine and (MOST IMPORTANT) a cinematronics game has
a cinematronics PCB and my future speed freak cab will have a vectorbeam pcb
:)

How could I find the damned faulty 7402???
It's a shame but I hadn't ANY IDEA about the reason of that so I just
checked all components with HP logic comparator... I changed some 74107
because I had some false positive, probably because I used for comparison an
HC and it was too fast to compare with LS and lights blinked when 107
chanced status. 4 hours at all, 1x7402, 4x74107, 2xbattlestar galactica
episodes

Regards,
vernimark