Re: Vcc buss rails being pulled down.

From: William Boucher <wboucher6_at_cogeco.ca>
Date: Mon Oct 17 2011 - 07:50:58 EDT

Remove the regulator.

Power the board's 5V rail directly from a current limited power supply.
Before connecting the power supply, set it for 5V, then turn down the
current limit to zero. Connect the board and crank up the current until
it's at 2 or 3 amps. All that current will go through the shorted element
and you should have no problems finding it.

Do you have a cheap small compass? Current flowing through traces generates
a magnetic field.

On the off chance that you have a small (TO-92) analog Hall sensor lying
around, you could use it as a current tracer.

William Boucher
http://www.biltronix.com