Re: Rip Off - 2 questions

From: William Boucher <wboucher6_at_cogeco.ca>
Date: Fri Dec 02 2011 - 19:18:52 EST

Unfortunately, there are about 50 things that can cause sound to completely fail...
- lack of +5V, +/- 28V on the sound board
- bad ribbon cable to CCPU board
- open lead wire to speaker or shorted speaker
- open volume pot / rheostat
- open connection in wiring harness to/from volume pot or speaker
- bad amplifier transistors or other electronic components on sound board
- bad sound data signal driver chip on CCPU
- bad input buffer or shift register chip on sound board
- bad chip sockets (open pins)
- and so on

Game reset may be caused by a lot of things as well, most likely flakey 2101/9101 static ram chip. There are 3 along bottom of CCPU board sitting together. They are 0.4" wide DIP-22. There may be a chip that is intermitently failing, maybe overheating, and causing the error. It could just be a bad chip socket or solder joint somewhere. Try reseating all socketed chips and see if that helps. Check the +5V supply on a few of the chips on CCPU. Maybe the supply needs a tweak.

William Boucher
http://www.biltronix.com