RE: Subing EZ80 microcontrollers for Z80A cpus

From: Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat Dec 03 2011 - 05:18:11 EST

Just to clarify, I *think* the Z80's /INT is coming from the vector
generator boards, but at a fixed rate. (40Hz sticks in my head, but that
could be wrong.) ...and I think the game timing is set by the /INT rate, so
changing the Z80's instruction rate shouldn't affect the draw time or game
speed *unless* the Z80's is dropping frame rate (ie, not completing it's
main loop before the next video refresh is due). The 'coprocessor' nature
of the VG made it possible to single-step the Z80 and whatnot during
development and maintain an image on screen though.

I also could be completely full of crap (or at least mis-remembering). (To
put this in perspective, when I was messing with the G80 system I sussed out
how the vector generator stuff worked using a Fluke 9010A and got basic
drawing routines working in Al Kossow's simulator that ran on the Mac--
which in turn eventually trickled down in to MAME. So it "has been a while".
;-)

-Clay