Re: Subing EZ80 microcontrollers for Z80A cpus

From: Zitt Zitterkopf <zittware_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun Dec 04 2011 - 04:26:16 EST

Thanks Clay... and Bill.

For now; I’ll table this plan... Too busy with the Xy Gen and other projects anyway.
I did spent about two nights thinking and planning; I think it’s possible to do the substitution – I’m just not sure if it’ll have the desired impact.

This biggest problem is the EZ80 seems to have removed the !refresh pin... so that would have to be duplicated somehow. I’m also concerned about possible uC peripherals conflicting with Sega’s memory (or IO) map.

As Bill mentioned; the PCB would have to have a 3.3V regulator... and the EZ80 doesn’t come in a package I really like. BGA or 144pin LQFP... both may be on the big side for a DIP sized drop in.

I wouldn’t really care about “loosing” 90% of the EZ80’s functionality; as long as it “improved” the lag problem.
I know Z80s are widely available as pulls / etc; I just wanted to get a pipelined version to see what it did to the lag.

A side effect; might be that highscores could be saved in flash; but still a complex project I’m not motivated to tackle yet.

Too bad I have a day job. ;P
John