WG v2000 help please

From: Carlos Rubio <csrubio_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Dec 20 2011 - 14:12:30 EST

After replacing a broken HV diode, my v2000 worked briefly. However, after
a few minutes I noticed that there was arcing at the HV diode. I shut the
monitor down and added more silicon to the HV diode connections. After it
was dry I powered it back up. There was no longer any arcing. However
there was no picture, and after a minute or so R613 on the deflection board
caught on fire. R618 was also fried.

I replaced the fried components as well as several other components in the
Y section of the deflection board. After doing this, the monitor will now
power up without anything catching on fire. There is no picture. The
continuity of all fuses has been verified. The spot killer is not on. I
can hear vector chatter. The heater is glowing. The brightness and
contrast controls do nothing.

Following the troubleshooting guide in the FAQ I went ahead and replaced
the HV diode AGAIN, and this time made sure the ends were well insulated
before firing it up. However that made no difference.

I don't have an HV probe so I can't check the HV at the annode. I can feel
static on the front of the monitor and a piece of paper will cling to the
front. I'm not sure if this is sufficient to prove that high voltage is
present? I verified the voltages at J900 on the HV board.

SO... should I concentrate my troubleshooting on the HV board or on the
deflection board? Reading about the way this thing operates, it seems
possible that something in the oscilator circuitry is faulty, perhaps fried
by the arcing? I'm hoping I can rule out the flyback itself, since at
least the secondary windings seems to be working, as verified at J900.

Monitor gurus, please chime in. Thanks,

Carlos