Re: Cabinet wood and trim repair

From: Douglas Gauck <douglas_at_gauck.com>
Date: Tue Mar 27 2012 - 10:06:25 EDT

For my Star Castle I built a three-sided frame out of scrap wood that went a few inches up the front and back, and had a straight edge along the chewed-up bottom. After removing any remaining loose particleboard, I clamped it in place on the cabinet to act as a boundary. The I filled in the gap between the cabinet and the frame with bondo, working it in to the jagged edge of the cabinet for good adhesion. The frame also provided a bearing surface to smooth the level of the bondo close to flush with a wide blade putty knife. The area I had to fill was mostly under an inch, going to maybe two inches at most in the corner, but the bondo seems very tough. Sanded and took paint very well.

-Douglas