RE: Introduction & Question

From: Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon May 21 2012 - 14:03:34 EDT

> Dave had either acquired or knew where the original hardware was to record
sound samples for the TI chips,
> as it was a special device that TI kept tight wraps on since they were
programming all the Speak and Spells
> at the time along with anything else that used the speech chip. IIRC TI
charges $1000 per word to record samples.

You know-- I have one of those. ;-) I confess that I've never quite had the
courage/motivation to fire it up. (For fear of, well, fire. ;-) It's cool
looking though. Aluminum 'briefcase" about twice as wide as normal with a
complete multi-board computer inside. Has it's own built-in EPROM burner
too.

I had reasonable luck generating sound files for the 5220 using the old
quadrovox tools. (Can't recall if they were Win 3.1 based, or even DOS
still.) The LPC is just *really* fussy about the quality of the input
sample. *any* sort of background noise, music, hiss, etc. and it just goes
batshit crazy and you get really messed up encodings. For voice-only
content though (especially with the benefit of the computer based
preprocessing we can easily do now) it works really well.

> if anyone knows how to contact Dave from ram controls that would most
likely be your best bet to find the ROTJ information.

Just as a datapoint-- of all the old Atari stuff I've gone through, I've
never seen a shred of anything that looks like a ROTJ vector project. I
never recall Curt or Scott mentioning anything about it either. Not saying
it's *impossible*, but I have my doubts...

-Clay