Re: Messed up my Black Widow

From: William Boucher <wboucher6_at_cogeco.ca>
Date: Mon Jul 02 2012 - 10:54:00 EDT

Don't forget, the two 15V regulators do not run from the +5V supply. They run from the +/-22VDC supplies so they are not relevant in this case.

The trick is to determine where all the current is going. If you are having a tough time tracing it using thermal methods, and assuming that you don't have an old HP current probe, there are still a few other tricks.

If you have one of those toy magnetic sheets, the ones that change color and show a pattern when you hold a magnet under them, you should be able to hold it against the board and visualize the strongest field generated by the traces and components that are carrying the high current.

If you have a very small magnetic compass, like the ones on keychains, it should be attracted most obviously to the traces carrying the high current. The little "water ball" type would likely work the best.

William Boucher
http://www.biltronix.com