15V2000 blooming after HV diode replacement

From: Ian Eure <ieure_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue Oct 23 2012 - 01:18:37 EDT

Picked up this problematic 15V2000. Had serious blooming issues when powered up & connected to a known good Asteroids. I was hoping this was a cap issue, since I've seen some size issues caused by bad caps, but the problem persisted. I replaced the HV diode with a Varo H598, which is supposed to be compatible with the 1820/1812. The rubber boots seemed fine, so I reused them, and covered the joints with translucent dielectric silicone grease. The problem persists, though it seems slightly better. I swapped the HV cage into a 19V2000 & get the same issues.

I have seen B+ cause image size issues with raster monitors, so I thought that might be it, but it looks like B+ is generated by the deflection PCB.

Not sure where to go from here. Go get another HV diode? Poke around Q90x?