Re: 15V2000 blooming after HV diode replacement

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue Oct 23 2012 - 01:57:48 EDT

Ian Eure wrote:
> Picked up this problematic 15V2000. Had serious blooming issues when powered up & connected to a known good Asteroids. I was hoping this was a cap issue, since I've seen some size issues caused by bad caps, but the problem persisted. I replaced the HV diode with a Varo H598, which is supposed to be compatible with the 1820/1812. The rubber boots seemed fine, so I reused them, and covered the joints with translucent dielectric silicone grease. The problem persists, though it seems slightly better. I swapped the HV cage into a 19V2000 & get the same issues.
>
> I have seen B+ cause image size issues with raster monitors, so I thought that might be it, but it looks like B+ is generated by the deflection PCB.
>
> Not sure where to go from here. Go get another HV diode? Poke around Q90x?

I have found that the B&W HV diodes tend to heated when they were
failing...so, if you have a remote IR sensor aim it at the diode and see
if it gets hot.

Alternatively, leave the monitor on for a few minutes, then turn it off
and carefully feel the diode (watch for the anode wire to cup end!) to
see if it is warmer than room temperature.

If it is warm/hot then it is defective...

Do not short B&W picture tube HV Anodes to ground except through a 1MOhm
resistor (HV style) otherwise damage to the HV diode is likely.

http://flippers.com/vid-tips.html#discharge

John :-#)#

                 www.flippers.com