Re: VERY nice EPROM programmer...

From: Darren Finck <dgfinck_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Dec 05 2012 - 19:16:38 EST

John--  I have had one of those for about a year now.  I've programmed EPROMs with it from 2716 (not TMS2716...) to 27C080, including 2732 and 2732A, and 2532.  I even built an adapter to read (but not program) the video decoder PROMs on Williams boards (sorry... raster topic...)  I've read about prople making tri-voltage adapters (and external sources for -5 and +12) to read TMS2716 and 2708, but haven't tried that (yet).

I've found that while the software "warns" you that you'll need the AC adapter to program many older EPROMs, it works just fine (for me) from USB power alone.  Maybe once I've had to plug it in to get something to program(?).  It's USB-only, and works well in Windows (XP on my netbook is what I use).  I found the software straight-forward.  Easier to understand and use that most older DOS-based programmer software, IMO.

I've also used it for reading/writing battery-backed RAMs and timekeeper modules (Dallas, etc.) and a serial EEPROM.  No problems.

One feature this unit lacks, that many others have, is the ability to test TTL ICs and SRAMs.

Darren