Re: G08 Rebuild issues

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu Dec 27 2012 - 13:19:38 EST

Grant Thienemann wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Apparently there are two pots on the High Voltage board, what I did to
> fix the problem was rotate them both all the way counter clockwise
> till they stopped, turned on the machine, I finally had a game image
> YES but the screen was small and I had the same issue as before, I
> started rotating both pots very slowly one at a time till the G08
> sounded right, and the game looked great.
>
> I don't think I even needed to rebuild my monitor now that I knew
> about those pots, but I did all the "upgrades" I could find online for
> this monitor and its running VERY well. I don't even here the vector
> chatter that I've heard other people talking about.
>
> The only other "mod" that I'm doing is that my Sega Star Trek has two
> backs on it, and I've left the top one off that is for access to the
> monitor. I figure that will keep the monitor running as cool as
> possible.
>
> Thanks guys!
>
> -Grant

!!!DANGER DANGER DANGER!!!!

This is potentially a very BAD idea - adjusting various potentiometers
in HV circuits without the correct test equipment hooked up. Not knowing
which of the four or so pots on the HV section that you played with, I
would say you may have created problems/dangers (X-Rays!) for yourself
that you may not be aware of.

The four pots I find (schematic version G08-003) are R310 (100VDC
setting), R933, R918 and (danger) R917. At the moment I do not know what
R933, R918 and R917 do, but R917 has a safety mark beside it indicating
that it is a critical adjustment that likely sets the X-Ray protection
circuitry up correctly. You REALLY do not want to mess with that with
out the correct HV probe and other factory recommended adjustment tools
handy!

If I have time later today I'll dig into these adjustments, but it would
help if we knew WHICH pots you adjusted!

Chances are you are safe, but if you set the HV higher than factory AND
turned back the X-Ray shut-down your tube could be emitting X-RAYS -
soft X-Rays to be true, but considering people play the game only inches
from the screen the risk is reasonable that you do nto want to expose
yourself or loved ones/friends to the risk!

If you adjusted a pot that had any glue or nail polish, etc. to 'lock'
it in place, then do NOT turn the game on again until you have test gear
lined up!!!

John :-#(#

                 www.flippers.com