Re: Replacing Tailgunner ROMs

From: William Boucher <wboucher6_at_cogeco.ca>
Date: Wed Jan 23 2013 - 00:08:59 EST

Carlos, I flashed two new TMS2532JL chips using your two files .6RS and .6U and plugged them into a known good CCPU (my Rip Off board set) at sockets T7 & P7and fired it up and it works perfectly. I tried the board in my Star Castle and it looks great. I could not play it of course because SC doesn't have the proper controls. By the way, the files that you sent to me are named for the wrong pair of sockets. They do not run in U7 & R7.

The chip enable (PD/PGM input at pin 20) for the chip is tied low on the normal unhacked CCPU so it's good to go as well. It is not required to pull out pin 21 and connect it to +5V. According to the datasheet, that would reduce the chip power usage but not necessarily disable the outputs. I tried it both ways just for fun and the game worked fine both ways. I would not bother to change pin 21. If someone knows a good reason why it should be done, please correct me.

Now, to make the chips work in locations U7 & R7 where your CCPU board has sockets, I just had to make new files by swapping the upper and lower half of the data in each chip. I flashed a couple of new chips, plugged them into U7 and R7 and it worked great.

I was going to attach the new rom files for U7 & R7 to this email but I don't want someone crabbing at me about copyright violations or something so if anyone wants them, just email me privately and I'll send them to you.

Or, you can do like Matthew suggested and make your own two 4k files from the original four 2k files thusly...
C:>copy /b tg.r7 + tg.p7 tg4k_odd.r7 <enter>
and
C:>copy /b tg.u7 + tg.t7 tg4keven.u7 <enter>

William Boucher
http://www.biltronix.com