Re: WG 6199 HV section help

From: Colin Davies <colin.w.davies_at_btopenworld.com>
Date: Mon Feb 11 2013 - 13:42:16 EST

I had a HV with a Bad 555 last year that I was looking at for a friend....
Some of the resistors smoked (not got the schematics to hand and disn't take
notes) and the little transformer was getting warm too if I recall...

I also had to replace the transistor which drove the little transformer
too... used a sub and I decided to make a little bracket to hold it in place
and keep it cool too (it didn't have a metal tab on it) ... bit of an
overkill .... its worked well since I'm told... It was all nicely recapped
with a few fresh resitors and a couple of modern ceramic caps on the 555
too...

There was a BIG hole in the board under one of the resistors from a past
failure. I also added an inline fuse for the little transformer (as
suggested on cinelabs) - You can see it (little circular brown device) to
right upper right of the pot.

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/uploads/70/Gav_HV4.jpg

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/uploads/70/Gav_HV3.jpg

Testing on the Bench off a dual power supply with HV probe ....using Andy
Welburns suggestion to measure HV...

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/uploads/70/Gav_HV2.jpg

Cheers, Col