Re: Setting the HV trip circuit

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat Sep 14 2013 - 17:25:56 EDT

On 09/14/2013 2:12 PM, Douglas Gauck wrote:
> eBay! Got my standalone for $20 or so.
>
> -Douglas
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Sep 14, 2013, at 4:48 PM, Joel Griffin Dodd <griffindodd@gmail.com
> <mailto:griffindodd@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> I've finished my scratch build AMP 25" color XY and now need to
>> configure it.
>>
>> I have to configure the HV overvoltage circuit which requires
>> monitoring the anode to dag voltage and setting the circuit for a
>> 19.5KV trip.
>>
>> I don't own a high voltage probe, my mm only goes up to 1KV so I'm a
>> bit stuck. All the HV probes I have seen so far seem to be $300+
>> which is too much for me to pay for a tool I may only use once or twice.
>>
>> Any suggestions?

Keep an eye out for the Heathkit (probably others too) HV probe for
standard meters. They divide by 100s or 1000s and are designed to work
around 20 to 50KV (long probe - 18 inches or so). Even if it is not the
correct one for your meter, you can calibrate your meter to use with the
probe by simply testing a known DC voltage around 100 to 200VDC and see
what the reading is with the HV probe and do the math...

The HV unit does generate screen voltage that you can measure (if under
1KV) with your standard meter probe - now you have a reference voltage...

Or you can buy this for $30: (searched for "HV probe")

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Polaris-Model-651-40-KV-High-Voltage-Probe-400-DC-MA-HV-Tester-Test-/331011388517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d11d0f465

I have one of these, works pretty good, and you can check the accuracy
using the screen voltage as I described above.

John :-#)#

                  www.flippers.com