Re: How do i check the clock circuit?

From: Ed Henciak <ehenciak_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Sep 23 2013 - 18:27:29 EDT

Joel,

   First, you're going to want to master using that logic probe that's in
the mail. They're simple to use. It should have a light that indicates a
toggling signal in addition to a "high" and "low" indicator. Some logic
probes will simply light "high" and "low" at the same time in the event of
a toggling signal.

   You'll want to use this toggle indicator as a means of sensing activity
on clock lines. Please be aware that this doesn't mean the clock is
"perfect" (you'd need an oscilloscope to determine that). However,
"toggle" should be fine for now. I've debugged/fixed many PCBs with just a
multimeter and logic probe.

    Next, all clocks originate at the oscillators, so start there and work
your way through the ICs to which this oscillator connects.

    Hopefully this minimal info at least gets you started :-). If you
can't wait and want to see if your clocks are toggling now, you could use
your multmeter. First, you'd want to measure Vcc at the chip/oscillator in
question (should be near 5.0V). If you measure the clock line with your
meter, you should get a reading about half that (around 2.5V).

Ed