Re: How do i check the clock circuit?

From: Andre Huijts <a.huijts_at_upcmail.nl>
Date: Tue Sep 24 2013 - 05:08:09 EDT

The clock signals are generated using crystals. They are easy to ID, usually a flat aluminum colored can:

More modem versions look like this, if you see these, the crystal has probably been replaced in more recent years:

This may sound weird but your first work should be visual. Check if the crystals are there at all and if they are still firmly soldered. I actually started measuring for a clock signal only to discover some seconds later that it was missing :) The crystals often get damaged or broken off during stacking PCBs or transport because they stick out high above all the other parts. This is also why I prefer to replace them with the smaller modern types.

A general visual inspection is always a good idea. Look for damaged tracks, bad sockets etc. in case of SW PCB set, make very sure the interconnection board is on really tight.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad