Re: RE: Pac repair

From: Kurt Mahan <kmahan_at_xmission.com>
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 13:46:15 EST

My methods are very similar to John's.. I use the blue sucker though. I
can achieve pretty much the same speed.. The other thing I do is keep some
very fine solder braid around.. Its good for cleaning everything up. Pay
for the good stuff -- the really course stuff isn't worth using.. You'll
just heat up the board and destroy it..

I don't recall if it was mentioned before but for some of the boards where
they either used crappy solder or minimal solder its better to ADD some
solder onto pad and then suck it all away.. It helps a lot.. (much
better heating, etc..) This is especially good when you're going back and
cleaning out the holes..

I was taught years ago that you should be able to consistently unsolder
a chip and have it clean enough to put back in.. And do no damage to the
board.. Obviously you can't do this all the time. I've clipped out my
share of chips.. I'll always sacrifice the chip to save the board -- and
some of the atari boards just want to destroy themselves..

Also -- to all the people that bend the legs over to "hold" the chip in..
Please don't. The army did a study that showed there was no need. Also
its a pain to get them out (as I'm sure John and everyone else that does this
a lot will attest to..) And even if you're installing a socket -- there
are still times when IT has to come out..

Kurt