Re: Testing PCBs...

From: Tom McClintock <tomm_at_mgcap.com>
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 21:46:42 EDT

Drew,

You will need a computer monitor that will have a horizontal sync of 15.75 Khz.
There are about 10 or so that will work nicely, and are touted as being
'multisync'. I compiled a list a few months back (naturally I cannot find it)
but you can search on www.monitorworld.com for anything with a sync rate =<
15Khz. My advise is use the advance search on Google and limit your searches to
that domain. The NEC Multisync II seems to be a good one.

You can also get a 5" color Samtron CGA monitor from Timeline and use that hack.
Here's more info:
http://www.spies.com/arcade/conversion/SamtronCGAtoArcade

I actually ordered two of them recently - $50 delivered and Elantec was nice
enough to send me some samples of their EL4583C 'broadcast quality' sync
splitter chips.

Or, just go for a normal arcade monitor if you can get it for cheap. The only
drawback is that you will need an isolation transformer, and the above methods
do require any (just some creative wiring).

tm