Re: TECH: Kortek Videomaster monitor failures

From: Mark E Davidson <mark_at_basementarcade.com>
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 19:53:43 EDT

I have always wondered cost justification of monitors myself. Having 2 kids and a
wife that wont go to sleep without the tv on, my tv set is on almost 24 hrs a day
itself. A monitor running 24/7 will most likely last 10 before burn become
unacceptable so what the point.... I tend to get at least 10 years from a set.
    On a related note, since we are talking about cheep monitors, Don't buy Happ
monitors right now. Happ monitors tend to be very cheep compared to a WG or NeoTec
monitor but there are quality issues with Happ monitors right now, in construction
and in electrical layout giving the monitors sync probs.
    To explain the issues more...I use to buy lots of 10 from Happs. 2 years ago,
the company that made Happs monitors was doing a good job and overall. About a year
ago, Happs contracted their monitors to another supply house and quality went down
the dumps. Missing from the last Happs revision is a shield around the flyback.
(this is the best way to identify the old vs the new) As a result of the missing
guard, the PC board is very week by the flyback and cracks when the monitor is
shipped.
I had to return 4 of them from my las lot because of this. I wont even get into the
other issues but the end of this story is that Happs dropped their "new" monitor
house, and when they did the monitor manufacture went out of business. Moral of the
story is that there is no cheep monitors for sale at this point. Stick to a WG.

-=Mark=--