Re: TECH: Kortek Videomaster monitor failures

From: Werner Sharp <sharpw_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 11:25:45 EDT

<x-flowed>
I found a manual scan here...

http://www.hypertech.com/arcade/monitors.asp

And Bob Roberts has replacement Kortek flybacks for $25. One monitor was
marked "bad flyback" when I got it and after plugging it in to test it out,
I believe it.

As a general monitor question, the 160 volts comes out of the flyback and
then through the circuit? So if a component was bad, it would on the fuse
side away from the flyback, correct?

Lastly, does anyone know why arcade monitors are so expensive? I new 19"
TV is $120 from Best Buy. Yet a new 19" arcade monitor with no housing,
no tuner and no remote is $185 or so. Is it just economies of scale? Or a
captive market?

-Werner