Modifying my metal control panel...

From: Andrew Wilson <andrew_at_aqualion.net>
Date: Sat Mar 30 2002 - 11:42:05 EST

Hey all,

I've got a JAMMA cab with a metal control panel that started out life as a
Bad Dudes, then was converted to Cadash. When this was done, the operator
just removed the buttons, replaced the control panel overlay, put a piece of
plexi-glass over the control panel, and drilled holes for new buttons.

I'm going to put in my William's Multigame in this cab, so I'm going to redo
this control panel so it has a more friendly layout for Defender/Stargate,
but I've got a couple of concerns:

1) I don't like having plexi glass on my control panel - it gets dirty, and
stuff gets up underneath it that's hard to clean out (ick).

2) If I remove the plexi glass, I know the control panel is going to look
like swiss cheese, and when I drill another 7 or 8 holes in it for the
Defender layout buttons, there's gonna be almost nothing left. I can fill
the empty holes with Bondo, but without anything to back them I'm afraid
that the bondo will pop out if someone bangs on the control panel or
something.

Has anyone done something like this before on a *metal* control panel
(replaced buttons and filled in the old holes)? One idea I had was to put
the plexiglass on the *inside* of the control panel, but it still seems like
the Bondo might still crack/pop out unless the backing is really strong.
Putting some kind of sheet metal on the inside would work also, but I don't
really know how I'd attach it to the control panel (I don't have a welder,
and I'm not sure whether any kind of glue would work).

Any ideas?

-atw