Re: Pole Position displays just a blue screen ?

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Sun Sep 11 2005 - 22:38:23 EDT

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, John Robertson wrote:

> Start with power...is the board getting good +5VDC? Often a blue screen is
> simply a failed power supply. You can wire in a switching supply to replace
> the failed linear. I use old computer supplies - they have LOTS of +5 current!

It's definately power. It's blowing F3 on the main transformer block. (32v
25 amp on the block, 20amp on the schematic).

The faston connector on the outbound of that fuse was melted, end of the
wire jacket blackened, and the wire itself has green corosion as far as I
stripped (about an inch). I cleaned up the end of the wire and crimped on a
new connector. Since both ARII's are as clean as I've ever seen one (no
chared componants, no old char marks, caps good), and the board contacts
were good, I thought the wire itseld may have been the cause.

No dice. Promptly blew the same fuse. Turned out to be my only 25amp fuse
(slow or other blow). Crap Shack now only carries up to 10v fast, 8amp slow,
if anyone cares.

Once I had a supply of fuses I suppose I would disconnect both ARII's, see
if it blows, then see which one does it. Now to find fuses.