Re: Re: Tron troubleshooting/repair

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Fri Jun 08 2007 - 00:24:59 EDT

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 21:17:42 +0400, you wrote:

>> While I have no specific problem (it doesn't work, specific enough? LOL)
>> ATM, I was hoping to gather some FAQs/URLs for Tron related diagnosis
>> and repair info. I have some time to work on this and it's about time

>cables between the boards are crap,

        YES! Every MCR-series game I've ever worked on, those flat-membrane
ribbon cables are either shot to hell, or only step away from it.

        My preferred method for replacing them is to get 50-pin SCSI cables and
cut them apart to make new cabling. (A seven-device SCSI cable will have
eight 50-pin connectors on it, and can be cut apart to yield four segments
with a connector at each end.) Note that it needs to be a 50-pin SCSI,
since the MCR-board connectors are either 23 or 24 pins wide; a 44-pin IDE
cable won't be wide enough. (The MCR connectors are also *single-row*
connections, not dual-row like the SCSI cables, so pay close attention to
which rows "pin 1" is actually on when plugging them in!)
"In ancient times, they believed that there were only four kinds of matter:
Earth, Water, Air, and Fire. Nowadays, of course, we know that there are
actually four states of matter: Solid, Liquid, Gas, and Plasma. Thank God
for progress!" ---(Kelvin Throop III)