Re: Re: Tron troubleshooting/repair

From: EvilJim <eviljim13_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri Jun 08 2007 - 10:51:15 EDT

Thanks for all the input so far everyone. As I recall, I did pick up
the new (SCSI) connectors for inter-board replacement already. And it
sounds like Peter really thinks I ought to replace all of the sockets. LOL
When you say the big blue caps, Mark, you are referring to the ones on
the PS, I take it? From your mention of ripple, it sounds like these
are filter caps for the line-in and may have lost their capacitance.
Are their other electrolytics that are common culprits I should be
expecting to replace? Aside from the monitor I mean. When it comes up,
we'll see if it needs a rejuv, though I expect so.

One question I did have: I have read several times about re-flowing
headers and so on and can easily understand why this is done. But as to
the harness itself, the actual cabinet harness, is there a tendency for
these to have issues? I don't relish the idea of re-creating the entire
loom and I have trouble seeing how the wires themselves could have any
issues. Then again, these games are "really old", as my friend's son
likes to point out. Just curious.

Again thanks to all. Once I can get the box out of its corner I'll start
poking around in there and address these issues.