Rebuilding cabinets - Tron

From: EvilJim <eviljim13_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 14:15:41 EDT

Morning all -

So, from all my experience so far, arcade uprights were made from
particle board. That same experience has shown that once wetted, PB
becomes crumbling junk once dry again. Even before it has dried, if any
soaking has occurred. Time itself does not seem to help this stuff,
especially in an environment like the PacNW, hardly any of it is still
smooth just from the moisture in the air.

I need to rebuild my Tron cabinet and wanted to see if there was any
consensus on what to use when doing so. Was PB really the best product,
or was it just cheap? If I were to go to something else, would I be
looking at plywood or some other sheet product? Also if anyone could
get in touch with me regarding dimensions of an original cabinet, I
would love that info. Mine appears to have been butchered in many ways
over its life and given the other damage/issues on the interior, I am
planning on creating a new cabinet, top to bottom, front to back. I'm
looking to repair/restore my Tron to a beautiful piece that I don't have
to work on ever again, at least not the cabinet. Something to apply
expensive repro art to and so on, that doesn't seem in danger of
collapsing each time I try to move it around the room.

This game was one of the first that I picked up and now I realize I
might have passed on this one, had it shown up later in my collecting.
=) (Any leads on good, solid, empty cabinets in the Puget Sound region
welcome as well.)