Tron ROM D6

From: EvilJim <eviljim13_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue Nov 06 2007 - 13:09:44 EST

Thnx for the image, Peter. Using the EPROM programmer yesterday
indicated two locations to have discrepancies in a Compare with the new
image. Looks like I have a bit of rot in that ROM. (Oh man, "bit of
rot", I slay myself. =) )

Yeah, anyways...as for getting new chips to burn, will a CMOS
replacement be an issue? I believe I have found a such a beast in the
27C64 <http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T073/0921-0922.pdf> at Digi-key,
second section header, first page. However, I didn't know if they were
good choices or if they should be avoided. (IIRC, CMOS are very ESDs,
not sure if there are other concerns.) Of course there are all the
pulls available online, but we have the DigiKey catalog in the lab, so I
looked there first.

Also, I was unsure about chip speed and possible errors/problems if I
were not to make sure I matched the original spec. There are three
speeds avail (100ns, 150ns, 200ns) but I was unsure how to determine
what speed my current EPROM is running at. I recall reading issues with
memory speeds, but IDK if it was in connection with MCR games or another
system. No luck finding it in my searches yesterday. If I just get the
fastest option, would that cover all bases? Or are there issues
generated by a "too fast" chip?

On a related but nit-picky note, any tips on preserving the original
window stickers from the ROM? I'll need to pull it in order to erase,
but it seems so sad to lose it, given that it is clearly original.
Won't do me any good with the tape damaged ones, but oh well.