Tron regression

From: EvilJim <eviljim13_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu Nov 08 2007 - 16:31:12 EST

Drat, I seemed to be doing so well.

After burning new ROMs for D2 (for freeplay hack) and D6 (hard failures
in the original ROM), the game came up, both play and freeplay were
available and I could switch into self-test mode. None of the controls
were working, so tracking that down was the next step.

I think I may have found the culprit, a bad pin on the switch return
line in connector J4. New connectors/pins have been ordered, so that
should be resolved next week. However, in the course of trying to track
down the fault for the CP, I seem to have lost game function and am now
getting a garbage display.

Upon power up, the game no longer works, nor can I get into self-test.
The screen has two halves, left and right, that are both displaying
nonsense. The left is a repeated pattern, while the right looks mostly
of a solid color with some stray explosion spites tossed around.

Power cycle nor reset switches seem to have any effect on the output
from the boards. Any thoughts on what I messed up, or harmed while
chasing the harness issue? Does this just sound like something else has
in the logic has failed? Could this be a power issue, something too low
or too high to the boards?