Re: WTB: Broken 19VLUP22 tube or mounting ear

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon May 04 2009 - 02:28:41 EDT

Mit Matelske wrote:
>> Yes... I agree....
>>
>> Which is why I thought a good strong structural epoxy resin would solve
>> the
>> problem, so I could glue the ear back on without causing any damage to the
>> existing strap ? - Is this still a barking mad idea, or does it sound the
>> most sensible solution ?
>>
>> Regards, Colin
>>

> John-
>
> I have the tube sans the the mounting strap sitting on the floor of my
> living room. I am not worried about it imploding. The strap serves the
> purpose of holding the four mounting ears on, not structurely (sp?)
> holding the tube in one piece.
>
> I definitely appreciate your concern, and your experience over the years.
> As I googled for some ears for this tube one of the first links was me
> asking about the same thing... 11 years ago. Oh, how time flies!
>
> Have a good one,
>
> Mit

Um, you have a live bomb sitting in the open in your living room?

Read this:
---------------------------------------(quote)----------------------------
/CRT Implosion Risk?
Also see the section: Disposing of Dead TVs or Monitors (CRTs and
Charged HV Capacitors).

(From: Jeroen Stessen (Jeroen.Stessen@philips.com).)

I have checked with our CRT expert and he thinks that any 'normal' type
of scratch does not pose any danger. Usual disclaimer applies ... (what
is 'normal'?)

The front of the tube is much thicker and stronger than the rear. It has
to be, to withstand the air pressure, because the curvature radius is so
much larger. You won't break it by throwing a slipper at it. The neck is
in fact very easy to break, usually without causing injuries to anyone.

Normally, if the tube should implode, the rimband (the tensioned steel
band around the rim of all modern CRTs of any size) prevents the glass
from flying outward too far. Every tube type has to pass tests in which
it is deliberately imploded and it is checked whether any large shrapnel
flies too far out.

What *is* very dangerous is a CRT with its rimband missing, or a CRT
which never had a decent rimband in the first place (like some dubious
Russian-made samples we once saw). Such a tube should not be handled at
all. NEVER ever attempt to remove the rimband for and reason!
---------------------------(end quote)-----------------------------
/
Then read this link:

http://www.vectorlist.org/Vectorlist/1999/12/0240.html

This is the thread referred to in the above article:

http://tinyurl.com/d88e93 or preview in: http://preview.tinyurl.com/d88e93

This is VERY dangerous - please believe me!!!
/
/John :-#(#/
/

                 www.flippers.com