Re: Carnevil monitor issues...

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri Oct 22 2010 - 19:21:37 EDT

Sam Zehr wrote:
> Wow, a question I know the answer to.
>
> Carnevil use a 'gamma flash' instead of a white flash, where the brightness
> on the 3d video card was cranked up instead of just using plain white. The
> theory is you'd get some 'persistence of vision' in the flash, and it
> wouldn't be as jarring or epilepsy inducing as pure white.
>
> This caused trouble on the 35" monitors, which as you've seen, do not
> trigger the guns as well, especially since you are standing further away.
>
> In ADDITIONAL ADJUSTMENTS there is an adjustment SCREEN FLASH BRIGHTNESS
>
> Crank this up, and see if that helps
>
> Sam

Hi Sam,

Yes, we had played with the Screen Flash Brightness - tried multiple
settings both higher and lower - from around 25% up to 90%. Didn't help...

I tried holding the guns up against the screen as well as further away -
no success. The game does recognize the guns over most of the screen at
50% (and other settings) but the corners just seem to be too diffuse to
work, and there is no other way to calibrate the guns!

MAME might work as a substitute (run the 35" off MAME but use the
Ultimarc gun system which does not rely on the tube quality as it senses
the guns position relative to a group of LEDs (very clever that!).

However I haven't yet got a working chd image...

John :-#(#