Re: Atari orange test fixture

From: ayeckley <ayeckley_at_neo.rr.com>
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 18:27:04 EST

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=205478827

>>Yes that's a picture of a CTF 1 (Computer Test Fixture) or as we use to
>>call it 'a boat anchor'... It uses a program plugs like the ones on the
PAT.
>>The plugs are not compatible and if mistakenly plugged into the PAT could
>>do considerable damage to the PAT.

>>I own a PAT 9000, and all the game adapters only use one of those plugs
per
>>game. This unit uses 3 per game. I would suspect that the plug adapters
for
>>this unit would be nearly impossible to come by. I also did some research
on
>>the parts required to make one of the adapters for the PAT 9000. You can
>>order all the parts needed from ITT Cannon, but they will cost about $125
per
>>plug. Just multiply that by 3 for each plug you need for this unit.

To add to what Scott said:

I have a brochure for the CTF-1 (could scan if anyone wants), and according
it, the monitor is B&W. Perhaps the "Expansion Module" converts RGB to
Composite
Video?

I too have a PAT9000. I have found the plug housings for $49.29, and $0.26
*per
pin*. My solution was to adapt two of the Amp MR 36-pin connectors to the
Canon
connector - I don't use all 156 pins. Since the eBay pictures show lots of
the Canon
connectors included, you could probably cannabalize enough to work. That
brings
your per-harness cost down to about $10 per (not including the cost of your
time). It is several hours' work to build such an adapter - that's why I
consider the Pat9K a
mixed blessing.

On a similar topic, has anyone ever seen/have an Atari PBS-1 Simulator (for
testing
Atari Pinballs)?

Alex
http://home.neo.lrun.com/ayeckle/