Re: Atari orange test fixture

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 22:48:05 EST

As for the Orange Box, I have the documents for that machine....about two hundred 11 X 17 pages and 8 1/2 X 11, covering most of Atari's games up to around Tempest and MH that could be tested with this monster (it stands about four feet high!) weighs a ton... I got lots of duplicate plugs with it that I have cannibalized to make universal test plugs for Pacman and other common games. I don't know about copying the docs, it would be a rather large run about three inches of paper thick altogether...BIG favour needed. I also have some notes about the mods I did to make it work with both colour and b&amp;w as well as the vector mods for b&amp;w and colour XY games...<br>
I also have the Atari Pinball simulator PBS-1, it is handy for the older pin games prior to Superman.<br>
I should make a list of my test equipment I guess, someday...<br>
John :-#)#<br>
At 06:27 PM 11/29/1999 -0500, ayeckley wrote:<br>
&gt;just on eBay, and I'm wondering who has any documentation on this?&nbsp; Or<br>
&gt;even the correct name?&nbsp; John Robertson - I know you have one of these,<br>
&gt;and I know it's strictly for raster games, but what else can I do with<br>
&gt;it?&nbsp; Am I correct in assuming it is basically a test rig?&nbsp; Here's a link<br>
&gt;to the auction:<br>
&gt;&gt;Yes that's a picture of a CTF 1 (Computer Test Fixture) or as we use to<br>
&gt;&gt;call it 'a boat anchor'... It uses a program plugs like the ones on the<br>
PAT.<br>
&gt;&gt;The plugs are not compatible and if mistakenly plugged into the PAT could<br>
&gt;&gt;do considerable damage to the PAT.<br>
&gt;&gt;I own a PAT 9000, and all the game adapters only use one of those plugs<br>
per<br>
&gt;&gt;game.&nbsp; This unit uses 3 per game.&nbsp; I would suspect that the plug adapters<br>
for<br>
&gt;&gt;this unit would be nearly impossible to come by.&nbsp; I also did some research<br>
on<br>
&gt;&gt;the parts required to make one of the adapters for the PAT 9000.&nbsp; You can<br>
&gt;&gt;order all the parts needed from ITT Cannon, but they will cost about $125<br>
per<br>
&gt;&gt;plug.&nbsp; Just multiply that by 3 for each plug you need for this unit.<br>
To add to what Scott said:<br>
I have a brochure for the CTF-1 (could scan if anyone wants), and according<br>
to<br>
it, the monitor is B&amp;W.&nbsp; Perhaps the &quot;Expansion Module&quot; converts RGB to<br>
Composite<br>
Video?<br>
I too have a PAT9000.&nbsp; I have found the plug housings for $49.29, and $0.26<br>
*per<br>
pin*.&nbsp; My solution was to adapt two of the Amp MR 36-pin connectors to the<br>
Canon<br>
connector - I don't use all 156 pins.&nbsp; Since the eBay pictures show lots of<br>
the Canon<br>
connectors included, you could probably cannabalize enough to work.&nbsp; That<br>
brings<br>
your per-harness cost down to about $10 per (not including the cost of your<br>
time).&nbsp; It is several hours' work to build such an adapter - that's why I<br>
consider the Pat9K a<br>
mixed blessing.<br>
On a similar topic, has anyone ever seen/have an Atari PBS-1 Simulator (for<br>
testing<br>
Atari Pinballs)?<br>
Alex<br>
ayeckley@neo.lrun.com (Play)<br>