RE: Z80 pods, 2 versions...

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 10:09:18 EST

Keith has a number of points here that I think need exploring. <br>
Charter...? charter..hmmm..I KNEW I forgot to do something...<br>
As a dealer, should I be running this list? I have wondered about the conflict of interest that is possible here, I started the list because I am constantly looking for ways to improve my service tools, and felt that by spreading the knowledge of the tools, I could gain something in return. I did NOT intend it to be a sales area for my shop, and that was one reason I never posted FS: stuff here. It is for that reason that I sell on eBay, to avoid conflict of interest and keep the two areas separate. I am happy to spread service info around, but I need to make a living at sales (it ain't much, but it's a job I love). <br>
And, true, this is not a hobby any more (I used to collect 1920's radios was how this all started - there is a thread...how did you get into this?), I never seem to have time to build anything anymore. I have designs, but no finish (Like my design to replace the System 1/80 audio boards 6530's) time...the business has taken over my life (mortgage etc.). Sigh.<br>
I want to keep this friendly too. So if my words yesterday seemed harsh, I apologize.<br>
So, I guess, I would like a rough tally of votes on should I continue to host this or turn it over to someone else? I don't have a problem with that at all, no offense, etc. So please LMK. (I think there is at least one other technical mail list floating around, saw a reference to one in a search on google.)<br>
John :-#)#<br>
At 08:39 AM 3/15/2000 -0600, Keith, Brendan wrote:<br>
1. I thought about this overnight in order to compose this reply.<br>
2. I have great respect for John's experience and knowledge.<br>
3. I have received emails on this topic, so am not speaking solely from my<br>
own perspective.<br>
&gt; From: <x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>John Robertson[SMTP:jrr@flippers.com]<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Well, what would you like me to do? I send out lots of email looking for <br>
&gt; one unit, and several come back with various assortment of units and pods <br>
&gt; that they want to sell as a set.<br>
&gt; <br>
I don't know.&nbsp; I guess I expected something different from this list.<br>
Perhaps I thought it would be similar to the vector and raster list<br>
(from which this list sprung, vaguely) where interesting items are<br>
offered to members before being sent to ebay (a dirty enough word<br>
in itself).<br>
&gt;&nbsp; They do not like breaking up sets. I have <br>
&gt; made private trades with folks for these, plus I have sold some off. We <br>
&gt; have a business here to run, and I need to make money to support it.<br>
&gt; <br>
Sounds exactly what an amateur (we all know the etymology of that word)<br>
would do.&nbsp; Sometimes you have to take in more than you need.<br>
&gt;&nbsp; So I buy them wholesale, then I see that some on eBay went for a fair<br>
&gt; dollar, I <br>
&gt; should give them away?<br>
&gt; <br>
That's where our paths would start to diverge.<br>
&gt; I bought a bunch of damaged probes and am fixing them <br>
&gt; up, should I not profit from this service?<br>
&gt; <br>
Certainly, but why not from some of the very people that joined this list<br>
in order to discuss, discover and collect these same tools?<br>
Or offer some of the broken ones that you don't want to fix.<br>
We know that your time is money.&nbsp; Only you can determine when you<br>
are losing profit by working on a pod vs another game that you should get<br>
out.<br>
I've been attempting to retrieve some of the archives of this list, but off<br>
the<br>
top of my head, I don't think I've ever seen any of your pods for sale or<br>
auction.<br>
I also wish that I could retrieve the charter for this list.&nbsp; It's slipped<br>
my mind what the full intent was.<br>
&gt;&nbsp; I bought a bunch of Z80 pods in <br>
&gt; various states, so I fix them and test them. Again, should I not do what<br>
&gt; my <br>
&gt; skills enable me to do? This is MY livelihood!<br>
&gt; <br>
Once again, no argument.&nbsp; You, Ray Johnson, G. Stair, E. Spain (marginal),<br>
and others<br>
are all invaluable professional resources.&nbsp; Clay Cowgill is on the fence and<br>
he<br>
has his own detractors.&nbsp; Then there are the hobbyists, many with similar and<br>
varied<br>
skills.&nbsp; There just seems to be two separate factions in each of these<br>
lists.&nbsp; <br>
Maybe it's never been spoken out loud, but believe me, I know that they<br>
exist now.<br>
Let me reiterate:&nbsp; You are an exceptional resource.&nbsp; I have been fortunate<br>
enough<br>
to visit your shop.&nbsp; I have seen the voluminous reference materials.&nbsp; I have<br>
discussed<br>
with you some of the rare and obsolete platforms that you still support.&nbsp; I<br>
have<br>
drooled over your drool-worthy racks of PCBs, parts and machines.<br>
And I gladly bought the ESR and FBT tester kits.<br>
But you're not a hobbyist.<br>
I'm not picking up any harsh resentment from others, just a feeling of<br>
dismay.<br>
It's too bad that this &quot;collection of pods&quot; (5, 15, 50?) isn't spread around<br>
the list members.<br>
It also means that they are in the hands of the high bidders and, because<br>
they<br>
were so dearly bought, likely won't come back on the market.&nbsp; Dismaying.<br>
That's all I have to say on this.&nbsp; You're a businessman,&nbsp; I don't think your<br>
feelings will be hurt.&nbsp; I'm a hobbyist, I'll keep pegging away in my little<br>
basement workshop and scrounging for the deals.<br>
Your compatriot, nonetheless,<br>
Brendan Keith<br>
brendan.keith@wilcom.com<br>
&nbsp;To UNSUBSCRIBE from techtoolslist, send a message with &quot;UNSUBSCRIBE&quot; in the<br>
&nbsp;message body to: techtoolslist-request@flippers.com. Please direct other<br>
&nbsp;questions, comments, or problems to jrr@flippers.com.</blockquote></html>