Re: Cracking the 9010A ROM signature generator

From: Mike Coates <mcoates_at_mame.net>
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 17:55:37 EST

I've done some dissassembly on the code for both the pod and the base, and
have to agree with David, whatever it was written in had an awful
compiler! - It's not easy tracking down anything, since the code is so
illogical!

the code in the pod is a little more understandable, but only just, and not
understanding (yet) how the pod communicates to the UUT makes ot difficult
to follow as well.

My next step in the attack on understanding the code is to try and create an
emulator for the pod software, at least then I may be able to trap all of
the reads/writes that communicate with the pod (I need to know this for a
later project anyway!) - hopefully, seeing the data transfers may help gain
understanding in how the entire thing works

from your examples, it certainly follows no checksum algorithm I know of,
reversing the bit pattern either needs a lookup table (which I will check
for in a minute) or some nasty calculations (which again, should be
obvious!). I'm going to have another troll though the 48k of code looking
for anything that may implement such things.

just out of interest, does the 6502 pod (or another 8 bit pod) generate the
same checksum, and secondly, does it generate the same checksum for the same
data at a different address ?

 To UNSUBSCRIBE from techtoolslist, send a message with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the
 message body to: techtoolslist-request@flippers.com. Please direct other
 questions, comments, or problems to jrr@flippers.com.