Re: 9010A Getting Started

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 09:36:39 EDT

Kev, The 3(or 2)XXXXXX are for the QT pod only. If you want to learn about this neat pod (I'll scan it eventually but it's a lot of pages), then read up on the Quick Test in the 68000 manual, the routines are very similar.<br><br>
As for the other docs, I'd like to ask Al Kossow if I can put his collection up there...The docs are also on the FLUKE CD set, if anyone doesn't have that set of training CD's we could plead with the transcriber to run off another set...<br><br>
As for the Troubleshooter booklets, I did scan in the compiled 1984 and 1985 set which has additional info not on the issues previously scanned in. Check the latest uploads to the FTP site (Sunday).<br><br>
I also received a copy of the docs for the FLUKE Utility Tapes which cover the Frequency Check program for the probe as well as Tape Merge and others. Does anyone know how to extract the BINARY portions of programs when they are sent to the 9010? This appears to be a problem with transferring the tapes to PC via the RS-232 port. Anyone have the Utility Tape and can transfer the programs to a PC file?<br><br>
John :-#)#<br><br>
At 10:07 AM 16/04/2002 -0400, Kev wrote:<br><br>
&gt; Now I have some errors from the galaga script, even on a known good<br>
working (orig namco) board,<br>
&gt; I get errors like:<br>
&gt; ILLEGAL ADDRESS @ 300000-LOOP?<br>
&gt; ILLEGAL ADDRESS @ 303FFF-LOOP?<br>
&gt; ILLEGAL ADDRESS @ F0300D-LOOP?<br>
&gt; ... and so on, and some more after ram tests to begin (but ram tests ok<br>
after skipping errors)<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; These start just after selecting which processor (0=4M), and the tests<br>
seem to continue<br>
&gt; ok after ignoring the errors with the CLEAR/NO button.<br>
&gt;<br><br>
I'm not clear on this either.&nbsp; Are those scripts specific to the QT pod or<br>
can they apply to any??<br><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; I was thinking that it would be nice to have a text file (I was thinking<br>
&gt; &gt; Word Doc or PDF) that you could print out, 1 page that would tell you<br>
some<br>
&gt; &gt; basics to go along with the program.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; It might be nice to make up a template for program/comments text to put in<br>
the top<br>
&gt; of the .s file, and have it all in one place?<br>
&gt;<br><br>
Yes, probably best.&nbsp; Hopefully John's FTP site will be the difinitive<br>
collection of Fluke info.<br><br>
&gt; I'd be surprised if the 9100's last that long really, with the<br>
non-standard drive<br>
&gt; interface, OS, old hard disks, they are going to rapidly become doorstops<br>
unless<br>
&gt; some major work is done to clone the OS and drives at least to keep them<br>
going.<br>
&gt; At least the 9010A's are easy to service and maintain.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I've not heard of any 9100's here in Australia at all in my searching, and<br>
only<br>
&gt; a few 9010A's. I'm the only person here in the country that I know of with<br>
a 9010A even!<br>
&gt;<br><br>
About 6 months ago there were some pods on E-bay from Australia &amp; I am sure<br>
there are more over there than you think.<br><br>
I think there are enough 9100 owners and the 9100 has enough additional<br>
capabilities that effort to either keep them going or intergrate them into a<br>
PC platform will eventually happen.&nbsp; My biggest hope is we can get some of<br>
the original design team to divulge enough info on these to maintain them.<br><br>
&gt; &gt; Third thought.&nbsp; Has anyone tried to tie pins 2 &amp; 3 of the 232 plug<br>
together<br>
&gt; &gt; to make the 9010A &quot;fault tolerant&quot;.&nbsp; I want to put a switch on my cable<br>
to<br>
&gt; &gt; do that, load the program, flip the switch &amp; run the program.&nbsp; Or is<br>
there<br>
&gt; &gt; anyway to have the PC monitor output from the 9010A serially &amp; send<br>
&lt;CONT&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; on failures?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I don't understand this feature yet?<br>
&gt;<br><br>
You know how when the 9010A fails a test command &lt;RAM SHORT @ 0-3FF&gt; it<br>
stops?<br><br>
By tying pins 2 to 3 &amp; adding additional code to test the state of the 232<br>
port your program can be &quot;fault tolerant&quot;.&nbsp; IE you could create a program<br>
that would let you go get a beer and when you got back it wouldn't be<br>
stopped at the first fault it found but could list every fault it found.<br><br>
The other problem I've noticed when coding I've strung a bunch of RAMs<br>
together &amp; check each pair (2114s on Pole), but when it gives you an error<br>
message it just says RAM error at $4401, so now you've got to go back to the<br>
memory map &amp; figure out which ram it is.&nbsp; Be nicer if it said VIDEO RAM 7F<br>
8F BAD.<br><br>
This could be done with the 2/3 pin trick I think, but I believe only the<br>
9020 can be connected to a PC and send entries back the the PC like that<br>
(unless perhaps someone could write a 232 port monitor program that would<br>
also send commands to keep the 9010 going after a fault, is this possible?).<br><br>
The trick is the Volume 2, number 2 of the Troubleshooters (I think?).<br><br>
Kev</blockquote></html>