Re: 9010A Getting Started

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 07:39:15 EDT

Hi Marc,<br><br>
Oh, right, the Galaga script is written for the Z80QT (Quick Test) pod, that almost no-on has... The references to memory space above FFFF that are not the I/O (1XXXX) are all to do with extended fast tests that are included in that QT pod. I am hoping to get a pod lent to me so I can look into reproducing it.<br><br>
John :-#)#<br><br>
At 11:09 PM 16/04/2002 +1000, Marc Alexander wrote:<br><br>
From: &quot;Kev&quot; &lt;KKlopp@erols.com&gt;<br>
&gt; &lt;EXEC&gt; &lt;YES&gt;<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; generally gets you going.<br><br>
Thanks, I'm having fun trying it out now!<br>
I will make some notes of how I got started and what I found.<br><br>
I just did a ridiculous surgical wiring and soldering job on the Z80 pod 40 pin<br>
DIP target cable, it was bad just near where it went into the pod case, so I cut<br>
the whole cable off shorter, and peeled and stripped the whole thing and spliced it onto<br>
a new IDC connector that had a short cable coming out of it already.<br>
Now it works :) lots and lots of nice little heatshrink covered attached wires.<br><br>
I have an 8080 pod, and I expected the target 40pin dip cable to<br>
behave the same, so I swapped the perfect condition 8080 cable into the Z80 pod, and got a whole<br>
lot of intermittent errors (if I put it in loop it would toggle between fail and ok on some tests)<br>
It would pass the pod self test fine, but if I used the Z80 pod with the 8080 cable, it<br>
would give data errors in use on the board.<br><br>
Now I have some errors from the galaga script, even on a known good working (orig namco) board,<br>
I get errors like:<br>
ILLEGAL ADDRESS @ 300000-LOOP?<br>
ILLEGAL ADDRESS @ 303FFF-LOOP?<br>
ILLEGAL ADDRESS @ F0300D-LOOP?<br>
... and so on, and some more after ram tests to begin (but ram tests ok after skipping errors)<br><br>
These start just after selecting which processor (0=4M), and the tests seem to continue<br>
ok after ignoring the errors with the CLEAR/NO button.<br><br>
&gt; I was thinking that it would be nice to have a text file (I was thinking<br>
&gt; Word Doc or PDF) that you could print out, 1 page that would tell you some<br>
&gt; basics to go along with the program.<br><br>
It might be nice to make up a template for program/comments text to put in the top<br>
of the .s file, and have it all in one place?<br><br>
&gt; But then again I've been trying to champion the idea of a uniform &quot;bare<br>
&gt; bones&quot; program that everyone could use as sort of a standard.<br><br>
Yes I've been saving them and intend to use it too, thanks for the great work.<br><br>
&gt; Press 1 for RAM<br>
&gt; Press 2 for ROM<br>
&gt; .....<br>
&gt; Press 9 for RUN UUT etc...<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; but if we can get anywhere on the 9100s I may just forget the 9010 (unless<br>
&gt; someone can dig up the cross compiler!).<br><br>
I'd be surprised if the 9100's last that long really, with the non-standard drive<br>
interface, OS, old hard disks, they are going to rapidly become doorstops unless<br>
some major work is done to clone the OS and drives at least to keep them going.<br>
At least the 9010A's are easy to service and maintain.<br><br>
I've not heard of any 9100's here in Australia at all in my searching, and only<br>
a few 9010A's. I'm the only person here in the country that I know of with a 9010A even!<br><br>
&gt; I thought my 232 cable was simpler, 4 wires but I cann't find my notes on<br>
&gt; that now.<br><br>
Your notes and email are the one included below on the one I sent (here below too)<br><br>
&gt; John, do we have a list archive?&nbsp; Would be handy (or just add a file to the<br>
&gt; FTP with this info as you compile it Marc).<br><br>
ok.<br><br>
&gt; Third thought.&nbsp; Has anyone tried to tie pins 2 &amp; 3 of the 232 plug together<br>
&gt; to make the 9010A &quot;fault tolerant&quot;.&nbsp; I want to put a switch on my cable to<br>
&gt; do that, load the program, flip the switch &amp; run the program.&nbsp; Or is there<br>
&gt; anyway to have the PC monitor output from the 9010A serially &amp; send &lt;CONT&gt;<br>
&gt; on failures?<br><br>
I don't understand this feature yet?<br><br>
Thanks,<br><br>
Marc</blockquote>....</html>