9010A Getting Started

From: Marc Alexander <marcwolf123_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 09:09:40 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kev" <KKlopp@erols.com>
> <EXEC> <YES>
>
> generally gets you going.

Thanks, I'm having fun trying it out now!
I will make some notes of how I got started and what I found.

I just did a ridiculous surgical wiring and soldering job on the Z80 pod 40 pin
DIP target cable, it was bad just near where it went into the pod case, so I cut
the whole cable off shorter, and peeled and stripped the whole thing and spliced it onto
a new IDC connector that had a short cable coming out of it already.
Now it works :) lots and lots of nice little heatshrink covered attached wires.

I have an 8080 pod, and I expected the target 40pin dip cable to
behave the same, so I swapped the perfect condition 8080 cable into the Z80 pod, and got a whole
lot of intermittent errors (if I put it in loop it would toggle between fail and ok on some tests)
It would pass the pod self test fine, but if I used the Z80 pod with the 8080 cable, it
would give data errors in use on the board.

Now I have some errors from the galaga script, even on a known good working (orig namco) board,
I get errors like:
ILLEGAL ADDRESS @ 300000-LOOP?
ILLEGAL ADDRESS @ 303FFF-LOOP?
ILLEGAL ADDRESS @ F0300D-LOOP?
... and so on, and some more after ram tests to begin (but ram tests ok after skipping errors)

These start just after selecting which processor (0=4M), and the tests seem to continue
ok after ignoring the errors with the CLEAR/NO button.

> I was thinking that it would be nice to have a text file (I was thinking
> Word Doc or PDF) that you could print out, 1 page that would tell you some
> basics to go along with the program.

It might be nice to make up a template for program/comments text to put in the top
of the .s file, and have it all in one place?

> But then again I've been trying to champion the idea of a uniform "bare
> bones" program that everyone could use as sort of a standard.

Yes I've been saving them and intend to use it too, thanks for the great work.

> Press 1 for RAM
> Press 2 for ROM
> Press 9 for RUN UUT etc...
>
> but if we can get anywhere on the 9100s I may just forget the 9010 (unless
> someone can dig up the cross compiler!).

I'd be surprised if the 9100's last that long really, with the non-standard drive
interface, OS, old hard disks, they are going to rapidly become doorstops unless
some major work is done to clone the OS and drives at least to keep them going.
At least the 9010A's are easy to service and maintain.

I've not heard of any 9100's here in Australia at all in my searching, and only
a few 9010A's. I'm the only person here in the country that I know of with a 9010A even!

> I thought my 232 cable was simpler, 4 wires but I cann't find my notes on
> that now.

Your notes and email are the one included below on the one I sent (here below too)

> John, do we have a list archive? Would be handy (or just add a file to the
> FTP with this info as you compile it Marc).

ok.

> Third thought. Has anyone tried to tie pins 2 & 3 of the 232 plug together
> to make the 9010A "fault tolerant". I want to put a switch on my cable to
> do that, load the program, flip the switch & run the program. Or is there
> anyway to have the PC monitor output from the 9010A serially & send <CONT>
> on failures?

I don't understand this feature yet?

Thanks,

Marc