Re: Fluke pod ribbon cables .. strange

From: <steve_at_coule.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 03:16:53 EST

>>I think you might be mixing up twisted pair header cables and ribbon style
headers. I recall seeing something about the difference, but I don't think
it is significant. Something about the shield ground jumper....

I don't think that is really the issue, I have twisted pair cables and non-twisted pair cables for the 8080 pod and they are interchageable, but neither of these work with the z80 pod! As far as I can tell from a particaly ripped open header, all the grounds on the twisted pairs are commoned together. If it wasn't all encased in hard back goo, I could work out what else is in there but it's going to take ages to get at it!

Out of the z80, 6502, 8080 6802 6809 and 8085, the only matching header part numbers I can find are the 6502+6802. The header from the 8085 passes self test on the z80 pod too and the manuals indicate the same part number.

>>I have no spares, but you can buy a cable (ribbon) that should work fine
from Digi-Key.com or the equivalent in the UK.

I was planning on making some up with ribbon cable and a 40 pin header but a straight through cable I made in the past refused to work on either the 8080 or z80 - I remember trying it on one of them but can't remember which!

I'm sure there's something in there ... but there are a lot of combinations to check on a 40 pin header!

Steve

Freeserve AnyTime, only £13.99 per month with one month's FREE trial!
For more information visit http://www.freeserve.com/time/ or call free on 0800 970 8890