Re: RFC

From: James Bright <james_at_quarterarcade.com>
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 09:42:08 EDT

Chris,

Do you have any pictures of the hardware? Or is that still a WIP. I started
subscribing to this group well after you started working on this, so it's
probably been addressed before (I just missed it). I'm assuming this is
something akin to a virtual Fluke pod that is completely software driven
with a little bit of hardware to make the emulation easier.

Sounds interesting. Some comments I'd have as well:

* Already mentioned: memory map under the CPU
* What scripting language are you implementing? For the love of pete
whatever you do please support either include files, namespacing, or some
sort of library mechanism. A big flaw with developing Fluke 9010 or 9100
scripts. :-) If you support some structured language, or even object
oriented language... well, I'm living in a dream world. I am guessing that
you're having to implement the scripting language yourself and you're not
using something already built...
* Hmm sounds like if you're using USB as your interface that you might also
be able to integrate other devices beyond the CPU emulator. A very simple
probe would be help. I'm sure you have your hands full, so this would be for
future development. But a probe that can sync to data or add cycles is very
valuable when tracing lines. For example, tracing a chip select line.
* Even more ambitious project would be to build a -003 module like the Fluke
9100 has. That can help to exercise "hidden" parts of the board. For
example, you can't test the character ROMs in many games without pulling the
ROM.

I really like your IDE so far. Believe me, I know what a PITA they can be to
develop.

--James Bright
www.QuarterArcade.com
Restored Arcade Games for your Home

If you ever want to (un)subscribe yourself with TTL, you can send mail to:
<Majordomo@flippers.com>
with the following command in the body of your email message:
(un)subscribe techtoolslist
or from another email account, besides xxx@yyy.com:
(un)subscribe techtoolslist xxx@yyy.com