Re: Fluke Pods to Turned Pin Sockets - Help !!

From: Tim Matthews <trmatthe_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jun 08 2010 - 15:15:48 EDT

Hi Col,

I'm not sure which red adaptor you're talking about, but I made a pair of
ZIF pin savers for my main Fluke pods.

They are a ZIF socket wired to a length of ribbon cable and ended in an IDC
style socket. I just soldered up the ribbon cable
to the back of the ZIF (well, I mounted it on some veroboard) and then
routed it through the IDC. It takes about 5 minutes of
figuring out to make sure that you're not crossing pins between the ZIF and
the IDC part and then it's just soldering.

The benefit being that you insert the delicate Fluke pod into the ZIF
socket, and then use the IDC as a sacrificial connector.
If/when the pins on the IDC socket bend beyond repair, just un-clip the top,
replace the socket (about £1.50 from Farnell for
a 40 pin) and you're good to go. The 68k saver was a bit more tricky as it
took me some time to find the right sized parts but
it's guaranteed a lot cheaper/simpler than having to replace a pod header :)

I've got pics somewhere I could look for and stick on the web somewhere.

cheers
tim

On 8 June 2010 19:45, Colin Davies <colin.w.davies@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Is there a fairly cheap alternative to this RED socket , before I start
> making a fancy adaptor up using back to back sockets

and replaceable strips of pins...