Re: Alpha Electronics Dynamic Integrated Digital ICTester on eBay

From: Andrew Welburn <andy_at_andysarcade.net>
Date: Wed Jul 10 2013 - 04:26:24 EDT

On 09/07/2013 22:01, Fabrizio Vasile wrote:
> OK, John, tomorrow I will do the scans (there are also schematics) ad I
> will e-mail to you.
> Regarding TTL in-circuit testing, since I repair arcade PCBs for job ,
> I'm looking for a good and reliable tester which can point me in right
> direction at least (logic comparators are not very reliable IMHO).

  You must be doing something wrong then, the HP 10529A is your best
friend. Don't think that a good in-circuit tester is going to tell you
anything different to a comparator. In fact, in-circuit IC testing is
less comprehensive than comparison, because a comparator actually takes
account of the circuit hook-up, where an in-circuit tester has problems
with tied/forced lines, conflicts and busses.

  In-circuit testing cannot help you find faults that are to do with dry
joints/cut tracks/speed issues, good though they are.

> Yes, obviously best thing would be to test TTL manually with the truth
> tables and a logic probe, but , let's say, you have no schematics of the
> PCB and dozens of other board that are waiting you..:)

  Like everything, an in-circuit ic tester is another tool in your
arsenal against faulty pcbs, but there is no one tool that does the lot.

Andrew Welburn
http://www.andys-arcade.com