Re: G80 speech board

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Mon May 05 1997 - 17:03:02 EDT

On May 5, 1:59pm, Al Kossow wrote:
> Subject: G80 speech board
>
> I've been talking to Clay about adding the functionality of the speech
> board to the CPU board to get the total number of cards needed for a
> multigame to 6, so you could fit it into a normal card cage. On the Trek
> board set that I have, they didn't populate the Votrax speech generator
> or the timer stuff, so I had assumed that the other two games with speech
> didn't use it either. If this is in fact true, it makes the functionality
> of the speech board REALLY easy (essentially just an 8035 and a DAC).
> If you set up a banks-switched EPROM for the speech for the three existing
> games, you've esentally squished 5 boards into one, and everything should
> fit in 6 slots (cpu,ctl,timing, and 3 sound boards).

I must be missing something...so the EPROM, CPU AND speech board are smashed
into one board? I can see the EPROM and speech board smashed into one, and I
suppose if you put the game data one two EPROMs you could smash it onto the CPU
board some how.

So how do you propose to do the 3 sound boards? Somehow switch one of the
three slots on or off (if so, how do you handle the sound harness? You can't
have it connected to all three at once, right?) Or a manual step to pull out
two and push in one? Inquiring minds want to know.

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL