Re: Star Wars Repair / Data IO

From: Joseph J. Welser <jwelser_at_crystal.cirrus.com>
Date: Mon Jun 23 1997 - 13:27:01 EDT

> I might be interested in this if nobody else is. I=92ve been thinking of
> buying a PB-10. I have a Tempest & StarWars and will be adding a=20
> Space Fury & BZ to my collection some time. I also have several
> Tempest & SW pcb sets that are missing all the roms that I=92d like to
> get going to sell or keep for spares. What would be a good programmer=20
> that would take care of ALL the p/roms on these machines ? I am
> concerned about this =91bit-rot=92 & would like to keep my games alive
> as long as possible. I=92ve never used a programmer before so I have
> no experience but I do have a basic understanding of how they work.
>

> Todd

        I bought a "reconditioned" Modular Circuit Technology EMUPA Universal Programmer from General Device Instruments for like $375, give or take. You can buy a new one from JDR for around $500.

        It does almost all EPROMS (not 2708s,) EEPROMS, BiPolar PROMS (including 82S137s, and pretty much all the 82S series, I think....I've personally done 82S129s, and whatever the other 82S BPROM that's used in Cinematronics games is....the 256 x 4 one...I forget the number) PALs, GALs, PEELs, etc. PLUS, it has a TTL (74xx) and CMOS (40xx and 45xx) tester built in to the software, as well as a SRAM (6116, etc) and DRAM tester (Doesn't do 4116s, but it does 4164s, and other DRAMs used on video games.

        I highly recommend it, and I recommend General Device Instruments (www.generaldevice.com). I had some problems (my fault) when I first got it, and their customer service (I dealt with Ron) was very good.

        Although it's not as good as the $100 for used programmers that some guys are selling here, it's a pretty good deal, and supplies aren't really that limited.

Just my two cents...

Joe