Re: Speech board idea...

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Thu Jun 26 1997 - 12:55:22 EDT

>>1) single-source obsolete parts make me nervous. (SPO-250)
>
>I agree, but you'd better start re-designing the monitor since it has a
>*few* single source obsolete parts that make *me* nervous! They're
>definitely more likely to die.

Oh yeah, that's why I'm working with the WG color monitor! :-)

>>2) tough to record your own sounds for the speech board without having an
>>SPO-250 development system
>>3) Would be nice to have one (more) free slot on the backplane if we never
>>get a DSP based "all in one" sound card done so you can have all sound
>>cards installed at once. (and switch the analog outputs of each with a
>>mux)
>
>All good reasons, but I think Al's original point was ease of design, which
>is directly related to completion time.

Good point.

>You can start this evening wiring up some banked EPROMs on an existing
>speech board and have it done by the time you go to bed (there's something
>to be said for that) ...and not to be too cynical, but I'll wait for the
>"all in one" DSP card's availability before I worry about freeing up a slot.
>;^) ;^)

Yeah, but that's why I was thinking of freeing up the slot by moving the
speech stuff to the daughtercard sometime-- that gives enough slots for the
CPU, Vector boards (2), Universal Snd bd, Eliminator Snd, Space Fury Snd...
Without waiting for the DSP sound board. :-)

Hmmmm. Maybe we should make a G-80 card that just hooks up to a PC-104 bus
and a little 486 clone on the card with a soundblaster like Zonn said...
;-)

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com