Re: Quadrature vs CLK/DIR

From: Ray Ghanbari <ray_at_mayo.edu>
Date: Fri Jul 25 1997 - 10:32:00 EDT

You wrote:
> Can't you use the quadrature signals as clock and direction directly?
> If on signal is the clock then the other one will be a valid direction
> on the falling edge of the clock. If it goes the wrong way you switch
> the signals. If you need the rising edge, that works too. The only way
> I could see this not working is if something used it that was NOT edge
> triggered. BTW my Arkanoid spinner looks like it puts out Quadrature
> while the board is labeled CLK and direction.

I can verify that Arkanoid works just fine with a regular trackball for input
(standard Atari/Wico quadrature signal)

Clay, you neglected to add PSX Mouse to that list of compatibility modes (how
else are you going to play Genji and Heike Clans without going to Japan to raid
some operator warehouses? ;-)

(I'll crawl back under my Tempest/Star
Wars/Asteroids/Robotron/Defender/Football/Ms Pac/Star Castle/Sinistar cabinets
before Mark banishes me from VAPS again for mentioning any console unit other
than an Atari 2600 ;-)

Ray

NB as pennance for mentioning the PSX twice in one week, attached is my
current list of arcade games that use some sort of quadrature/encoder input.
It may help in designing the ultimate trakball interface

Maxi-trackball
--------------
Football {Atari '78, BnW, 2P} 2
4 Player Football 4
Missile Command {Atari '80} 1
Super Missile Attack {Atari '83ish} 1
Basketball {Atari '78, 2P, BnW} 2

Midi-trackball
--------------
Quantum {Atari '83, Vector} 1
Millipede {Atari '84, 2P} 1*
Rampart {Atari '91, 3P} 3*
Crystal Castles {Atari '84, 3D} 1
Marble Madness {Atari '84, 2P} 2 (rotated)
Boot Camp {Konami, 2P} 2
Cabal {Fabtek<TAD '88, 2P} 2
Reactor {Gottlieb '82} 1 (rotated)
Liberator 1

Mini-trackball
--------------
Centipede {Atari '81} 1*
Track and Field {Konami '83, 2P} 2*

Other
-----
KickMan {Midway '81} 1 (bidirectional roller)
Major Havoc (dedicated) 1 (bidirectional roller)
Blasteroids 2 (Tempest-style encoder wheel)
Tempest/Major Havoc (conversion) 1 (Tempest-style encoder wheel)
Arkanoid 1 (Tempest-style encoder wheel)
Omega Race 1 (encoder wheel + PCB)
Star Trek, Tac/Scan, Zektor 1 (Sega encoder wheel + PCB)
Tron/Discs of Tron 1 (Midway encoder wheel)

Unknown size (from KLOV)
------------------------
American Horseshoes {Strata '90}
Birdie King II {Monroe '84?}