Re: replacement for 6012?

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Fri Aug 01 1997 - 13:08:10 EDT

>I was just looking at 12 bit D/A's with the
>thought of building a little cine > WG adapter,
>and came upon the Analog Devices DAC312
>
>This part looks like it is pin compatible
>with the AMD 6012!
>
>The block diagram even looks like the AMD one
>in the '81 AMD Linear Data Book!
>
>Anyone want to try getting some 'samples'?

I'll volunteer! I can't believe I missed the similarity before. I guess I
never found the DAC312 in the "product selector" trees.

Not only does the block diagram look the same, the example applications
look the same. I'd say there's a 90% probability that it's a licensed 2nd
source for the 6012.

Anyway, I'll see what I can find on it, and as long as it's cheaper than
the surface mount AM6012 -> DIP boards that I did it's a win...

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com
\/ Communications Division http://www.supra.com/