Re: More Rotary Encoders

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Mon Aug 04 1997 - 19:36:54 EDT

>In all the recent discussions about rotary encoders, I don't think I ever
>saw anyone mention Cinematronics. The reason this comes to mind now, sev-
>eral weeks later, is that I just started work on connecting a Boxing Bugs
>board set to my Cosmic Chasm. Both of which use rotary encoders, neither
>of which were mentioned above.

Ahhh! More to the list!

Well, I took a look at this this last weekend (too hot to work in the
garage or outside so I had to find something indoors where the AC is :-)
and have the following operational:

Processor: PIC 16C54 (since I had the nice Windows based simulator I had
to use it... ;-)

Code is currently at 134 words (of 512 total). It supports the following:

Input: quadrature signal (2 lines TTL level), 2 mode select lines
Output:
        Mode0: "raw" 8-bit count (like TRON)
        Mode1: "G-80" 7 bit count plus direction bit
        Mode2: "Omega Race/Clk&Dir" 6 bit grey-code. Also clock&direction
        Mode3: TBD

Now then, I need a little help/advise... What four modes should I pick to
support? Looks like there's some more possibilities--

        Midway "Kick" four bit something or other. Anyone have a schematic?
        Cinematronics spinner. (That is, if it's other than quadrature)

Anything else?

Also, I could really use a copy of the Omega Race schematics if anyone can
spare a set, or scan and post them. I need to get a board working to make
sure this greycode table is right...

Anyway, thanks in advance...

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager