Re: omega race drawings

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Wed Aug 06 1997 - 14:10:40 EDT

>You've got a good point Zonn. But have you ever seen a cabinet that's been
>wired with controls for a bunch of different things? They tend to get ugly.
>I find the idea of a spinner, thrust and fire very appealing unless it
>turns out hard to play (which you point out may well be the case :-)
>Anyway, minimal controls is very nice looking if it works.

Here's a thought. Last week I finished up a hacking session (that I even
got *paid* for!) that consisted of modifying Astro Blaster (on the G-80
platform) so that the fuel guage doesn't go down as fast and the laser
cools off faster.

Given Al's ability to view G-80 program RAM in emulation, I bet it wouldn't
take him long to tell me where in RAM the ship rotation values are stored
for Space Fury and Eliminator... A little disassembly and some tinkering
later I bet it wouldn't be very hard to make Space Fury (for sure) and
Eliminator (maybe a little harder) *support* a spinner knob for positioning
a ship... ;-)

(Sure, it's messing with a "classic", but from past experience Astro
Blaster is a lot more fun without the damn fuel guage running out on you no
matter what you do in Sector 4...) I think Space Fury with the spinner
would be neato.

(I was thinking of trying the same thing with Asteroids too.)

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com
\/ Communications Division http://www.supra.com/